Here are some links
Filed under: Here Are Some Links
I just want you to know that I checked my search engine terms, and someone found this blog with the search string “why is my girlfriend an idiot”. I’m not sure what this says about my own relationship that this blog would come up as a result of that, but here are some links for you to peruse while I go do some damage control.
- When even the other Fox News talking heads are making fun of Glenn Beck for being dangerously unhinged, something’s definitely wrong. He’s getting into Jack Van Impe territory: one part news commentator, one part televangelist. But, I read the Old Testament religiously — because that’s the best way to do it — and many of the old-time prophets were both stark raving mad and possessed of great poetic gifts. Here, Salon presents the poetry of Glenn Beck, transcribed from his broadcasts into free verse: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3
- Speaking of mad artists, I don’t know how anyone could do an interview with Mad artist Al Jaffee and not title it “Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions”. Nevertheless, this is still a good conversation with Mad‘s oldest contributor, who turned 88 last month and has scarcely missed an issue since 1964. You probably knew he created the Fold-In. But did you know he also possibly created modern comic-book superheroes as we know them? Part 1 Part 2 Part 3
- I’ve been remiss in not mentioning this exhaustive list of jerks who have earned a sorely-needed punch in the face from reasonable society. People who wear sunglasses inside. Movie-seat kickers. Parents who smoke around babies. Slow-walking sidewalk-blockers. The Chinatown bus. People Who Deserve It.
- I enjoyed these old Siskel and Ebert outtakes of the two bickering like an old married couple, but it was the clip where they mercilessly rip each other about an imagined trip to McDonald’s that caused me to laugh so hard I spent the next hour coughing up bloody phlegm and didn’t feel well for the next couple of days. It was the “pounder quarter” line that did it.
- Finally, if you’ve ever wondered what would it look like if “Hollywood” Hulk Hogan and “Macho Man” Randy Savage were swing dancing partners, wonder no more. Here’s a computer simulation.